This is the blog of Marco Seiriö.
Born in Finland (Nokia, Linux, Santa), but living in Sweden (IKEA, Ericsson, Volvo, Abba) since early years, where he lives on the west coast on an large island outside the town of Göteborg.
Marco is interested in the business side of the software industry – where he is fascinated by the fact that the guy with the excel spreadsheet is allowed to make business decisions. As a systems programmer Marco is always close to his roots and spends much time on the technical side of the software industry too – where he never ceases to be amazed what developers are allowed to spend their time on.
Marco’s interest lies in event driven systems and systems which process and react to event stimuli, he is also into photography with his own studio and lots of nice photographic gadgets.
Currently Marco works on developing the location aware event processing system ruleCore CEP Server and does also research on the same topic with the University of Skövde when time permits. He got his first paper published on RuleML 2005 in Ireland
Prior to the work on ruleCore, Marco built a small consulting company specialized in message based business integration, after being an independent consultant for several years and has been an entrepreneur since 1993. As Marco has been both on the management side of the IT-industry, as CEO, and on the technical side as architect and developer he has gained some insight in how to translate, understand and mediate between these two worlds.
Marco has been working on various projects through out the years mainly for clients in Sweden. Among the projects there have been a number of integration (EAI) projects with messaging products of different kinds and a custom built message broker. Most of the system development projects have been in the enterprise software area with lots of database programming, other transactional systems, messaging, distributed (client/server) architectures, systems programming of various kinds, concurrent programming and building of custom server code for various tasks.
On the technical side Marco’s focus is currently on the emerging field of Event Driven Architectures (EDA). Specially Event Stream Processing (ESP) and Complex Event Processing (CEP). On the business side Marco tries to figure out how to build a software company who’s products and services are so obviously valuable for business so it will be impossible not to add itself to the client list.
Marco can be contacted at email@example.com, ICQ at 110286876, Skype on rcg_marco or MSN id firstname.lastname@example.org or just leave a comment below. You can also check out and connect to Marco via his linkedin page.
Current, past and present activities include:
- Program Committee member of RuleML 2011: 5th International Symposium on Rules
- Program Committee member of 4th International Workshop on Event-Driven Business Process Management
- Program Committee member of RuleML-2010
- Program Committee member of RuleML-2009
- Program Committee member of International Workshop on Ubiquitous Web Applications
- Program Committee member of RuleML-2008
- Program Committee member of RuleML-2007
- Program Committee member of The Second International Workshop on Event-driven Architecture, Processing and Systems (EDA-PS07), held on September 24, 2007 at the Vienna University of Technology, Austria. In conjunction with VLDB 2007
- Won a price on the RuleML-2007 Demo Challenge (Remote Demo Price as we did not have time to attend) with the demo Developing News Awareness with Reactive Rules – An Application for Detecting Scoops Ahead of the Crowd
- "Design and Implementation of an ECA Rule Markup Language" in "Rules and Rule Markup Languages for the Semantic Web", first international conference, RuleML-2005.
- "Seamless formal verification of complex event processing applications", in "Proceedings of the 2007 inaugural international conference on Distributed event-based systems, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series; Vol. 233